Trailing stop loss and its use - Page 2
Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailing stop loss and its use

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 56

Trailing stop loss and its use

Introduction A trailing stop loss is a stop loss that automatically moves and adjust itself to maintain our profits and also manage our losses. For instance if you make a buy trade in eurusd at 1.1200 and set a trailing stop at 50 pips. Suppose the price of eurusd moves from 1.1200 to 1.1300 then the trailing stop automatically moves from 1.1150 to 1.1250. In this case it should be noted that the trailing stop loss will not change if the price falls.

Use of trailing stop loss A trailing stop loss can be best used when te trader wants to lock his profits as the price moves in his favor. It is mostly used by position traders and swing traders trying to trap breakouts and volatile movements in prices.

How to set trailing stop loss Placing a trailing stop for any order is easy. Just right click on the order row on the trading tab of the mt4 terminal. Then you can select the number of pips you want to set the trailing stop for from the dropdown list

Please note trailing stop works only till the terminal is run. Once the terminal is closed it gets fixed at its last price before closing the terminal.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by SuccessfulKartik View Post
    Good thread on trailing stop loss. I new only about stop loss which I generally used. I prefer to face many losses on demo accounts so we can wait for success while demoing, i mean losses are the result of newbies in general so the trader need to improve his level before getting to real tradings.
    [lang=id]so you can try it right now, but it is good to use long term system and follow the true trend, and then set it for several pips behind the order that run in the market, it will lock our profit when the market move reversal , and it will follow automatically when the order runs in floating positive, and it means, we do not worry about losing and if the trailing stop loss has locked our profit[/lang]

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by samprazaan View Post
    [lang=id]so you can try it right now, but it is good to use long term system and follow the true trend, and then set it for several pips behind the order that run in the market, it will lock our profit when the market move reversal , and it will follow automatically when the order runs in floating positive, and it means, we do not worry about losing and if the trailing stop loss has locked our profit[/lang]
    Well, permit me to say that; it is not easy for al traders to recognize the true trend, the true trend is the smooth trend, and this is not always the same in the market chart. I advice that the trader using the trailing stop should only make the limits not less than 50pips, if not, either true trend or not, whipsaw or large retracement might occur.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 30
    I actually may not use the trailing stop too much as I think that the market has a very famous privilege it is the hesitating movements . and it is very known to us that the market may make more than one movement at a very short time and with arrange of a certain amount of pips . so I think that we may not be able to size the market movement in a few pips

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 80
    Quote Originally Posted by hosny55 View Post
    I actually may not use the trailing stop too much as I think that the market has a very famous privilege it is the hesitating movements . and it is very known to us that the market may make more than one movement at a very short time and with arrange of a certain amount of pips . so I think that we may not be able to size the market movement in a few pips
    I am also more fond of using the normal stop loss. I actually do not know how to benefit from a trailing stop also I am short term trader .I really love trading and i think this business will have big future and i can be part of this big future.I want to learn the forex now so to be a professional trader after 2-3 years.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 9
    Nice thread brother about trailing stop loss its short but meaningful. Trailing stop loss is very good tool in forex trading to keep your profit lock in start i did not know about it but after some time i hear about it and its very helpful for me because i am daily trader and trade on daily bases..,,..

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 30
    I think that the problem in using the trailing stop is that you may in a very sure profitable trade . and by the using of this orders you may lose your profit . I think that we have to tie the stop loss with any of the other order like make pending orders . or if it is provided to open a en order as soon as the stop trailing closed the order

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by hosny55 View Post
    I think that the problem in using the trailing stop is that you may in a very sure profitable trade . and by the using of this orders you may lose your profit . I think that we have to tie the stop loss with any of the other order like make pending orders . or if it is provided to open a en order as soon as the stop trailing closed the order
    It is not only in the sure profitable trades because traders might experience whipsaw of the market at any point in time. It is good to use trailing stop loss that is large as well. At least if the market is really trending or reversing, it would take a long time before it looks back to hit the trailing stop loss of the trader.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 193
    Quote Originally Posted by ansary View Post
    Yes I have the idea because ia m the one who rades without stop loss. In 90% trades the market turns back and gives the profit even after staying in negative for many days but once the market yells and move out of way then margin call will be yours. So better than sl is to have hedged loss or profitability.
    it is important to set stop loss , or manually with cut loss or also hedging to lock it, but this is about trailing stop loss and has double advantages from stop loss itself, because it will follow the order run in floating positive and lock the profit behind it, and also become the stop loss when the trend move against the order, and but profit is save

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 56
    Quote Originally Posted by newentry View Post
    it is important to set stop loss , or manually with cut loss or also hedging to lock it, but this is about trailing stop loss and has double advantages from stop loss itself, because it will follow the order run in floating positive and lock the profit behind it, and also become the stop loss when the trend move against the order, and but profit is save
    Both trailing stop loss and a normal stop loss will benefit only when the trader knows how and when to use them. Otherwise they will start giving unnecessary losses. Trailing stop are better off with position traders that are makes hundreds of pips per trade, not a day trader hunting for very little pip movement.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by shivanandfx View Post
    Both trailing stop loss and a normal stop loss will benefit only when the trader knows how and when to use them. Otherwise they will start giving unnecessary losses. Trailing stop are better off with position traders that are makes hundreds of pips per trade, not a day trader hunting for very little pip movement.
    [lang=id]i guess, it is good to replace stop loss with trailing stop loss, with take the same risk but it is helpful for us to lock the profit when order run in good position , what do you think about it, and of course, trailing stop loss is useful for them who use long terms system, so they can protect some profit immediately[/lang]

Not allowed!

Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast