Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast

Thread: Demand pressure and performance anxiety

Educator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 189

Demand pressure and performance anxiety

Hi everybody!

Today I want to talk a bit about two dangerous states of mind that traders face with: Demand pressure and Performance anxiety.

While performance anxiety occurs after winnings streaks, demand pressure pushes trader to make trades, because he needs to make money (demand pressure is fear not to make profits, performance anxiety is fear not to keep them).

For every trader those issues are different, but for most of them performance anxiety is more destructive.

Why?

If you haven't made profits yet, it's easier to cut your bad trades, because you are more critical about your ability to predict and to make "killing trades". If you had "flat" period in your PNL, or try to recover yourself from losses - odds that you will be more modest in your expectations are higher.

And it helps to improve your performance! You start filtering bad trades and finally accept couple of good trades that move your equity curve forward. In some cases, you may feel that now you are trading "in sync" with the market, and you are inside a winning streak.

But after that, you understand, that it's hard to keep that state of mind, and you start experiencing "performance anxiety".

It's an emotional state and it makes you increase your risk to eliminate that discomfortable feeling, making more proftis (proving yourself that you are good trader and have nothing to worry about that much)

Guess what happens?

You multiply your anxiety by your increased leverage, and finally you may find yourself paralized - you are so emotionally connected with your trades, that can't cut bad ones, stop thinkng about them and go search for new ones. Also, odds that you will start do some revenge trading are also high.

You understand that you should reduce your risk, but then you will have to face your anxiety which is uncomfortable and hard to live with.

So, universal rule - DON"T INCREASE YOUR LEVERAGE when you feel performance anxiety.
    Embrace that feeling, try to live with it not to get rid of it. Maybe in some time you will find that you are more connected with roots of that feeling and will be prepared to reduce that anxiety.

What about demand pressure?

It is also emotional, and I would say - it's about expectations, we think that your goal is "to make X dollars a month". If you think this way, you would more than likely be pushed to make trades - and I would bet that those trades will be "bad ones".

That's why it's so important to have process goals instead of performance goals.
    Don't think about money or any financial targets.

Your goal is to be the best trader you can be, to trade in your best way, to improve every day. Other goals, especially financial, will keep you away from consistency.

So, HAVE PROCESS GOAL INSTEAD OF PERFORMANCE GOAL

Not allowed!
    Last edited by Value trader; 12-30-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 495
    Quote Originally Posted by sofiane44 View Post
    Experience is must for success in Forex. We should avoid trading with a high leverage unless we are prepared to lose our capital .and wearing high leverage is not good for traders who do not have the mental strength..
    Mentality should be strong at the time of trading and without any experience we can't get idea that how we have to use best trading tools and strategies in trading, trading with low leverage is really beneficial for traders I am also using low leverage in trading now, Economic news are not safe for trader's and when they are very strong then high leverage could be dangerous for trader, I am only putting one time trading risk deposit at one time in my account now which is seeming much safe for me.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    forex is not so easy. here every trader have to take a certain amount of risk. money management is also a big fact. patience is a must to success. try different trading strategies. and test whice strategy suits you best

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Were better not to apply any use the fact that substantial when you have results worry, given that use must be used that will evaluate any return together with deprivation multiples individuals anytime forex trading currency exchange. With regards to request stress with our deal with anytime we can easily deal with some of our behavior together with worry. Which means that people at all times suggested to use a serene thought process, possibly not overly stressed, given that worry is not going to come up with some of our forex trading means is certainly better.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Hukam View Post
    Mentality should be strong at the time of trading and without any experience we can't get idea that how we have to use best trading tools and strategies in trading, trading with low leverage is really beneficial for traders I am also using low leverage in trading now, Economic news are not safe for trader's and when they are very strong then high leverage could be dangerous for trader, I am only putting one time trading risk deposit at one time in my account now which is seeming much safe for me.
    I think experience teaches us the need of mental stability in trading. In long term trading our profits should always be bigger than the stop loss. I always try to earn well but i do not believe in targets. Having targets puts unnecessary pressure on traders to perform well. I do not not like that kind of pressure on me.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by forexfighter007 View Post
    I think experience teaches us the need of mental stability in trading. In long term trading our profits should always be bigger than the stop loss. I always try to earn well but i do not believe in targets. Having targets puts unnecessary pressure on traders to perform well. I do not not like that kind of pressure on me.
    True,experience will make a trader more stable psychologically,making him to be able to control his emotions,in regards to have specific targets I agree that it is not really necessary to always aspire for specific profits because the market wont always go in the direction we want,what is important is we aspire to have better risk reward ratio most of the time.

Not allowed!
    " Trading is 70% Psychology, 15% Risk Management and 15% Strategy ! "

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 56
    Quote Originally Posted by techboy View Post
    True,experience will make a trader more stable psychologically,making him to be able to control his emotions,in regards to have specific targets I agree that it is not really necessary to always aspire for specific profits because the market wont always go in the direction we want,what is important is we aspire to have better risk reward ratio most of the time.
    Learning good psychology is hard for all the traders. Earning in Forex is not easy because of tons of information a trader has to learn and assimiliate. i will suggest to any beginner not to be afraid or undecided but rather to take it one step at a time, with dedication, a lot gets done in no time!. Well beginning matters a lot

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 538
    Quote Originally Posted by shivanandfx View Post
    Learning good psychology is hard for all the traders. Earning in Forex is not easy because of tons of information a trader has to learn and assimiliate. i will suggest to any beginner not to be afraid or undecided but rather to take it one step at a time, with dedication, a lot gets done in no time!. Well beginning matters a lot
    Learning is not very difficult or hard sir but implementation is becoming the main problem for the trader's, and lack of trading psychology or low confidence is the main cause of it, or we can say that due to lack of trading experience trader's are not getting the right result in forex. Its better to pay attention on good learning at first this will be good for all newbies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shivanandfx View Post
    Learning is not very difficult or hard sir but implementation is becoming the main problem for the trader's, and lack of trading psychology or low confidence is the main cause of it, or we can say that due to lack of trading experience trader's are not getting the right result in forex. Its better to pay attention on good learning at first this will be good for all newbies.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 35
    Quote Originally Posted by Khimi234 View Post
    Due to high risk trading traders cannot implement their plans and what they learned. I always believe we should not risk what we cannot bear to lose. Discipline is essential for every business . High risk is not good for trader. High risk can create mental pressure , it causes harm in business. If we stake little then risk will be little.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 495
    Quote Originally Posted by AmitChallenger View Post
    Due to high risk trading traders cannot implement their plans and what they learned. I always believe we should not risk what we cannot bear to lose. Discipline is essential for every business . High risk is not good for trader. High risk can create mental pressure , it causes harm in business. If we stake little then risk will be little.
    There is nothing to lose any more when you don't have the proper patience and discipline in trading ,it mean that trader's don't have any more chances to prove them in the market, they can be out of the market with losing hands and nobody can help them to become a good gainer again in forex, Bad psychology lead to more bad problems so that should be controlled properly and on time by trader.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 58
    Quote Originally Posted by AmitChallenger View Post
    If we stake little then risk will be little.
    both the losses and profits will be gained in small stake too. some people might be doing this and take forex as an investment in long term way with only small risk but higher profits in longer time. while other traders do the contrary by taking high risk to get the higher profits. it also increase the risk of loss. it's cool if we trade using binary option because the loss is limited per position but gain at least 80% of the money we've risked. unlike forex trading which i can lose entire capital with only one increased negative position.

Not allowed!

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast