Page 1 of 234 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning curve

Educator
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 571
    Given: 191

Learning curve

Before starting making bunch of money trading Forex, it's very useful to honestly recognize your place on learning curve.

Let me explain.

It's very easy to think that "now you are ready to make it" after series of profits.

But consistency is what makes professional trader (I mean, who made trading his occupation). How to recognize - are you ready or not?

I would divide development of a trader on several phases (well, don't get offended if you recognized yourself :) )
    The more honest you are with yourself, the faster you can go through all that phases.

1. Beginner.

You have come to the market and try making your first trades. Something works, something doesn't, but you enjoy the process, and after getting good profit you blow up your account. You never suspect that risk you have taken was enormous. You think that your "method" what inperfect.

This traumatic experience leads you to a level of "advanced beginner".

2. Advanced beginner

Now you understand that you don't have a method and start "learning".

Well, many people are stuck in this level, because there are lots of books and websites out there, huh.

You face tons of conflicting information, you try to structure it reading more. You begin absorbing information, the more you dive into that sea the more you lack understanding - how to trade to make money?

Most novices search for a "solution" - they believe that solution exists "somewhere", that somebody has "foolproof trading method", this is really time of trial and error.

When you finally understand that market itself has uncertainty and ambiguity in it's nature, you understand that analysis and trading theory is not as important as risk management and good trading habits.
    You recognize limitations of all theories.

Once you've recognize it, you go to the next level - I call it "struggling trader"

3. Struggling trader

Struggling trader no longer searches for a holy grail, but he (she) drifts between one trading style to another.
    He doesn't know what to stop on, but he already keeps his losses short, he understands importance of capital management and no longer falls into deep drawdown.

Lack of consistency leads to chaotic drift of equity - he earns money, than gives it back to the market, than again makes up his mind and finds good trades and earns money again.

I would say, trader CAN already earn money in this phase, but he can't keep it. All that market understanding that he gained through the years, pushes him to overtrade.

Struggling trader recognises that he lacks discipline.

4. Average good trader.

What average good trader really does - he knows how to learn trading and that makes him who he is.

He accepted 100% responsibility for his trading and there is fundamental difference between struggling trader and average good trader. While struggling trader relies on the market, he follows the market, but he rarely thinks of his actions, attention of average good trader focuses more on his actions.

He already knows limitation of all theories, he knows importance on money management, he recongnizes importance of consistency.

He keeps a journal, re-evaluates - what he does well, what not, what to work on, what to keep as it is, real work starts in this point.

Also, average good trader works on his psychology and self awareness that makes him more disciplined.
    He studies the market, collaborate with traders but already knows that his action and opinion is what matters.

Right focus of this phase eliminates a lot of mistakes, bad trades and finally allows trader to earn and keep money.

I would say, this is a transformational phase. A lot of work to do, but it's like planting a tree - in needs time to grow.
    This is sort of personal growth. When we choose our reaction, when we refocus our attention and take responsibility for our actions, we grow personally and professionally, especially in trading.

5. Master trader

I would say, there are not so many traders that reach this point.

At this point, trader knows himself and the market. He executes trades intuitively and as he knows his strengths and weaknesses, he can be more aggressive with what he does well, and defensive in other situations. Of course, it ends up with increased profitabilty and equity curve of a master trader can contain many winning streaks.

Master trader focuses his attention right, thanks to the work done on the previous phase.

I would say, "the tree had grown".

Bottom line:

It's important to recognize your place on the learning curve. Some people can't take responsibilty for their actions and accept that trading is a hard work, that's why they never come to the "average good trader" point.

So, decide for yourself - where are you on this curve?

The more honest you are, the closer you get to the destination. Yes, it takes time to develop and can't be done overnight. Do that work or quit!

Not allowed!
    Last edited by Value trader; 08-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5
    Great write up Stan..

Andyselvam

Not allowed!

Educator
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 571
    Given: 191
    Thanks, Andy. Looking forward to write some more useful things.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3
    The learning is very much important and a trader must have to learn about the forex because only learning will help the traders to trade more conveniently because the knowledge that we will gain from learning is the basic for making success in forex.

Not allowed!
    Like my posts? Don't hesitate to like it by clicking Thumbs Up button, Happy Pipping!!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 306
    Quote Originally Posted by Value trader View Post
    I would divide development of a trader on several phases (well, don't get offended if you recognized yourself :) )
    Aha, could anyone be offended by your explanation, but does not include me.
    I would ask you, can a newbie jump into phase 5? So he could shorten the process without significant barriers.

I think a trader must pass through all these phases, can not jump one or two phases. Because that is the process that occurs on a career to become a professional trader.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0
    I believe this depends on your time, effort and commitment to learn the trade. There are many sites forex free trials on the net and I strongly recommend that you verify on them, join them and practice forex carefully before you invest. Never invest what you can not allow you to lose.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    A studying bend is a graphical representation of the increase of studying (vertical axis) with experience (horizontal axis). How to use studying bend in a phrase. Example phrases with the phrase studying bend. Studying bend example phrases.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 9
    loss money is the most popular thing to convert a beginner trader to a master trader .loss money will be useful for you as a beginner trader to know how is your strategy work ?? , you will having a new skills ,you may read the market without any technical analysis .so i can say that mistakes will be the best way to have the full experience an the full knowledge about Forex trading so i prefer as a beginner trader to start trading with a trial account .

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    as trader, learning curve never really ends, we learn all our life as we should if we want to stay competitive in this zone, we need to learn, trading is essentially about handling uncertainty or the risk that comes with it.

- - - Updated - - -

i have been trading forex market for about 5 years now and even if more than half of this period I have spent trading the same methodology, I continued learning all this time, in fact, I believe that in the last two years I have progressed more as a trader than in the first four.

Not allowed!
    Last edited by Value trader; 09-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    I now have reached the stage of the third curve, ie traders fight, because I currently have a strategy remains just that I am still struggling to develop a strategy to provide highly accurate signals. indeed many temptations are greater, as the pressures I experienced, curious about the strategies of others, want to find a bigger profit, and also I became less focused because of the many activities that I do but learn forex

Not allowed!
    Last edited by martyn; 08-26-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Page 1 of 234 123451151101 ... LastLast