Is Scalping as a Trading Strategy Suited for Everyone??
Page 1 of 313 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Scalping as a Trading Strategy Suited for Everyone??

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

There is a great deal of confusion when it comes to the topic of scalping. The allure of fast paced trades, and even faster money is a great pull to new and experienced Forex traders alike. To determine whether we should be scalping or not we must first define what scalping really means. Scalping is the action of taking many short term intra-day trades with the intention of only holding the trade for a few minutes. Those who scalp the forex market may only look for a very small take profit, capitalizing on moves smaller than 20 pips more often than not. While this forex trading strategy may present many viable trading opportunities, is it really in our best interest to scalp the forex market?

The Stress Of Forex Scalping Strategies

Often a traders mental ability is the determination between a successful forex trader and one that ends up never mastering the art of forex trading. With this in mind it is important to eradicate as much stress from your trading as possible. One very simple way to do this is to take less trades by using slightly longer time frames. Taking fewer trades will allow you more time to process fully your reason for entering the trade, your trade management and finally your exit strategy.

Forex scalping strategies at their very core rely on executing many trades per day. This fast paced trading style increases the level of stress a trader will experience exponentially. Not only are you forced to enter many trades per day, you are also in a position where these trades need to be closed quickly as well. For someone new to the forex market this is a recipe for disaster. This fast paced style leads to chasing markets, missing signals, and more often than not revenge trading.

The Effect Of Spread On The Forex Scalper

There is always a difference between the price you can buy a currency pair and the price at which you can sell it…this is called the spread. More often than not spread is never even a thought in the mind of aspiring forex traders. I use the word “aspiring”, as already profitable forex traders always take into account the effect spread has on their overall profit or loss. Let’s use an example to better illustrate the effect of spread.

5 Trades Per Day X 3 Pip Spread = 15 Pips Paid In Spread Per Day!

15 Pips Per Day X 5 Trading Days = 75 Pips Paid In Spread Per Week!

75 Pips Per Week X 50 Trading Weeks = 3,750 Pips Paid In Spread Per Year!

If we use 20 pip stops and risk 1% per trade that means every 20 pips we make or lose we will have gained or lost 1%.

3,750/20 = 187.5% Paid In Spread!!!

Is spread starting to become a little more important in your eyes? If you simply cut the amount of trades you take in half you will save yourself +93.75% or 1,875 pips! Now this is a very broad example of how spread can accumulate and cut into your overall profit but it illustrates a clear point of how spread can accumulate over the course of time. Spread is the cost of doing business as a forex trader, but like any other business we can cut costs and become a more streamlined business. Some companies use energy efficient light bulbs, as traders we “cut the light bill” by becoming more selective with the trades we take.

Controlling Your Risk

Our single job as a forex trader is to control risk. If you think about anything and everything we do it is done to control risk and eliminate it to the best of our ability. With that being said lets examine spread in relation to scalping. As an example lets say we bought the GBP/USD from 1.6000 with a 10 pip stop loss and a 7 pip take profit. If we are trading the Pound that means there is usually a 3 pip spread. Therefore in order for us to get filled at 1.6000 we would have had to have bought when the price (the bid) was at 1.5997 As a result the market would have had to only move 7 more pips down to hit our 10 pip stop loss. On the other side of the trade the market would have to move a full 10 pips to hit our 7 pip take profit!

This is a very important point to think about. With the example above we are risking 10 pips to make 7. Not only that but the market only has to move 7 pips to hit our stop loss, while it has to move a full 10 pips to hit our take profit! The spread works against you all the time, but as you can see the smaller your take profit and stop loss the more of an effect a pairs spread will tend to have. Another way to look at that is the spread is actually 30% of the entire profit target. That’s like running a business with a flat 30% fee on top of every sale! No one in their right mind would open a business that operated like this, but yet many jump into scalping without giving it a second thought.

One of the most simplistic ways of controlling risk is with a positive risk to reward ratio. Plain and simple, if you risk more than you look to receive on your trades you will eventually wipe out your account. There is no exception to this rule, it always comes true! A positive Risk/Reward ratio is something that is very difficult to achieve when scalping in the forex market because of spread.

Breaking Your Scalping Addiction

If you love to trade short term how can you still fill that desire but yet avoid the main pitfalls of scalping. First you need to understand that the satisfaction of turning a consistent profit far out weighs any rush you will ever experience from scalping. Our goal is to turn a profit and if the trading strategy we put to use is failing us, then its time to put it aside. I urge you to step back away from the charts and stop trading for a few days or a week. Give some consideration to the points brought forth here especially if you scalping is resulting in consistent loses.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 542
    when we do scalp then we can't think about market spread because we should have a common sense that every pair contain spread commission and we can't avoid that that's why i not like scalping much a person is giving much money in spread commission to a broker and if anybody want to do trade scalping then still he or she have to pay 2 to 3 pips spread commission and its not a very safe trading strategy at all even if you are in profit it will give you only 8 to 10 pips only

Not allowed!

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 50
    This is simply a very good piece of information and calculation about the market trading. In the first question, I will suggest that it does not fit for everyone because of the nature of individual trader. But as regarding the explanation of scalping, you might use it enlarge the way you view scalping and bring your earnings to more realization.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 48
    yes for trading in forex as a scalper trader we should observe about the spread of currency pairs, as in scalping trading style we are trading for small pips target but open trade with high risk.on my view scalping trading is not suite for all, more real trading skills are necessary.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 504
    Yes mate scalping strategy is not a good strategy at all for trader's its depend upon totally a trader's choice because many trader's don't like this strategy much as a long term trader I never use this strategy to make money its a good strategy but little bit risky also for me long term trading is much better than scalping

Not allowed!

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 392
    Quote Originally Posted by Hukam View Post
    Yes mate scalping strategy is not a good strategy at all for trader's its depend upon totally a trader's choice because many trader's don't like this strategy much as a long term trader I never use this strategy to make money its a good strategy but little bit risky also for me long term trading is much better than scalping
    I have a opinion same like you my trading strategy and style not fit with this type of trading strategy called scalping. I am a long term trader and its very clear for us that a long term trader is much differ from a scalper trader. I am happy with my swing trading performance and want to stick with that. But there is no doubt in it that a good managerial skill regarding scalping could give us a lot of profit in short term time.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 19
    yes i guess those works of the wider on options with the decision as trader to occupy of the distinct on choice of the system to helps on managing tasks of the requests. as the further trader to focus with the details on approach on appealing the use of the risks management on helping with the good run on covering of the longer on terms with the length of the complete of the trading plan.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 542
    Quote Originally Posted by forexlearner View Post
    I have a opinion same like you my trading strategy and style not fit with this type of trading strategy called scalping. I am a long term trader and its very clear for us that a long term trader is much differ from a scalper trader. I am happy with my swing trading performance and want to stick with that. But there is no doubt in it that a good managerial skill regarding scalping could give us a lot of profit in short term time.
    Yes many of us would not be happy with this type of trading style but we can't say that this is a worst trading style or will not work for everyone. Scalping trading strategy could give you a very quick profit and can give you consistency in your trading. Its all about your experience friend without any good experience of forex all trading strategies could be wastage for trader's.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 504
    Quote Originally Posted by Khimi234 View Post
    Yes many of us would not be happy with this type of trading style but we can't say that this is a worst trading style or will not work for everyone. Scalping trading strategy could give you a very quick profit and can give you consistency in your trading. Its all about your experience friend without any good experience of forex all trading strategies could be wastage for trader's.
    Good trading experience and a good scalping entry and exit point means double assurance in the market could be beneficial for trader so make sure that they are not entering only with one analysis or indicator when they are applying scalping strategy on their chart's. People should combine technical analysis with scalping for best entries.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hukam View Post
    Good trading experience and a good scalping entry and exit point means double assurance in the market could be beneficial for trader so make sure that they are not entering only with one analysis or indicator when they are applying scalping strategy on their chart's. People should combine technical analysis with scalping for best entries.
    Well, it would depend on the experience of the trader on the scalping, to me, the scalping is very risky, and the first sets of traders that started the trading of forex lost all their money mainly because they are scalping. This means that scalping can not be good for everyone, but the smarts traders could still have their way in scalping.

Not allowed!

Page 1 of 313 123451151101 ... LastLast