Will reading books really help you in trading?
Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Will reading books really help you in trading?

Educator
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 568
    Given: 191

Will reading books really help you in trading?

Hi traders! Value trader is "on air".

I’ve been asked very often of what books to read. In this thread I will share with you my ideas on this topic and give a small read-list of books that helped me in my development in early days of my trading career.

As far as I concern, reading and consuming information is a little bit overvalued because it’s not logics that drives our actions, it’s our deep beliefs. Those beliefs can be obtained only in the process of deliberate practice. When you’ve seen something with your own eyes 10000 times, you will believe in what you are doing. If you have just read book on the topic, you will easily forget everything learned from the book once market starts to behave in volatile unpredictable manner (it very often does).

Of course, when we come to trading, first thing we want to do is to read, read and read more. That’s our natural way to deal with uncertainty. We want to get a quick answer, but more often than not, we are just internalizing some ideas that make us feel confused in a process of real trading. For example – have you ever seen such beautiful trending lines (or, say, support/resistance lines?) in a real trading environment? Most of trading best sellers include plenty of beautiful but unrealistic (or, rare) trading setups.

I guess, no. So, the first element thing that most of trading literature does – it fails to prepare us to real trading environment, which happens to be much more ambiguous, much more complex than it is shown on beautiful snapshots.

Confirmatory bias

The main thing that 90% of trading books do – they show you how your ideal setup would look like. By the way, it’s not only trading books, most books on success and personal growth also do the same thing. They tell you what you would need to do to get to point B from point A. But, they don’t tell you what you are not expected to do.

The better advice for the field where 90% fail to survive, will not tell you «how to achieve your goal», but rather how to survive in a process of testing and probing your ideas in a process of real trading.

Warren Buffet once had said that «Investing process is saying «no» to 90 proposals and «yes» to just one proposal».
    Best trading books that may change the way you think, will not tell you what to do in each and every case. They, instead, will focus your attention on nuances, details and obstacles that are rarely spoken about. Nuances make difference between amateur and professional trader.
    I will provide small list of books that helped me some years ago.

«Enhancing trader performance» by B. Steenbarger.

Brett Steenbarger is a famous trading psychologist (and a trader himself). In this book he talks not just about «greed and fear», but about various steps of learning process. You may understand from this book how to find your own trading niche, how to understand you position of the learning curve.
    From this book, I’ve captured one very valuable idea – all our internal characteristics (or behavioral characteristics) that we consider as obstacles, as something to fight with, in reality have huge potential to become our strengths.

For example, in my trading it was anxiety and inability to hold position in some cases, I was closing position too early very often, and therefore, and missed some good opportunities. Later on, I have understood that I had pretty strong feel of changing market momentum. So, I should have become momentum trader, not trend-following trader. After I have understood this, I’ve changed my trading style and made it more synchronized with my strengths.

You see – when I was trying to fight it, it was very tough, when I’ve made strengths out of my weaknesses – things have become much easier.

«Mind over markets» and «Markets in profile» by J. Dalton.

J. Dalton is authority in the world of auction market theory, but what us more valuable – he has huge experience in trading and in the past was running institutional trading desk working for big market participants.

Markets are very visual. If you want to capture important information from visual analysis of market profile as well as candlestick chart, this book is for you.
    This book may seem a bit complex and it is not giving direct advices of what to do – when to open and close a position. But as I have told you before – real trading education is not about knowing your ideal setup, it’s about ability to know the whole picture including bad setups as well.
    Also, this book is about «market profile» – not every trader has this tool at his disposal.

«Diary of professional commodity trader» by P. Brandt

And last (but not least) in my read-list is a book by Peter Brandt, professional money manager, who was keeping trading journal in a real time for several months describing his thoughts and explaining his actions. This circumstance makes this book valuable, because it’s really what we would like to know – how does professional trader think and act in a real time.
    Also, tools that Peter Brandt uses – conventional technical and charting analysis, it will be familiar to any trader. Though, he trades on big timeframes (W1 and D1), this book will help to change the way you think about most trading challenges and ideas.

Good luck!

Not allowed!
    Last edited by Value trader; 06-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Banned
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 14
    There is no how the reading of books will not hep the trader, i read books and i am still reading good. It will help me to get the clue on what i want to do before doing it actually, this is a very good thing for nay trader to do, but be careful on the books you are reading. Also, if you are not new in the market, your limitation in reading book should be observed

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    reading about trading has being the reason in have being able to understand the concept of this business, i basically earn how to do this business by myself with nobody help except from books and site reading,the most important thing is the level of passion and seriousness one is having toward this business,so i believe one can surely learn how to trade by reading the most important is practise

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    If you want to know the theory of forex trading or learn about basic thing, reading books would help you understand. Unfortunately, in order to success with your trade, your books won't help you much. You need to practice a lot with focus and patience. I don't believe about the books who reveal how to be successful trader and sold with cheap price. So, you better practice a lot than reading a lot of books, because your experience will gain from your practice, not by theory. You need experience to help you success, because your experience will help you a lot in your trading, especially to make the right decission in difficult situation.

Not allowed!

Rookie
    Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 56
    Quote Originally Posted by alihandsome4u View Post
    If you want to know the theory of forex trading or learn about basic thing, reading books would help you understand. Unfortunately, in order to success with your trade, your books won't help you much. You need to practice a lot with focus and patience. I don't believe about the books who reveal how to be successful trader and sold with cheap price. So, you better practice a lot than reading a lot of books, because your experience will gain from your practice, not by theory. You need experience to help you success, because your experience will help you a lot in your trading, especially to make the right decission in difficult situation.
    I agree with what you say because somehow in this trade that whatever we do will be better in this trade because we have to realize that as long as the activities that foster knowledge in the trade as we understand how the activities of some of the theory of the book is the section that will be will make us much better in this trade so that the learning process of sharing so it is the best part for doing such multiply reading books is the good part for doing

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    I personally like to learn and find new information every day . I enjoy reading different books about different topics . I think that when you study and read a book not only your adding something new to your knowledge and enjoy it but you also read and learn about other people's experiences and success , wins and losses so later on you try to learn from those experiences and thoughts so you can make up your own strategy to a better future and possibly victory . I will try to read some of these books to help me improve my knowledge about forex .

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    yes book are always help trading or every where because if we read book then we gain knowledge or when we get knowledge we can earn much profits in Forex trading or other trading. here you can gain many experience to face any situation an we can improves our strategy.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Yes,off course my friend.it is the fact that we can also learn with the help of books and some ebooks.i have downloaded many ebooks from internet and i am reading these ebooks.it is helpful for me.i have learned about indicators from these ebooks and now i have many self made strategies .i think book reading is a good habit.

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4
    There is no need to reading books for trading

trading comes only by practicing in demo account at a minimum of 1 year till you achieve best result

Try to learn basic of trading from internet and learn the patterns and candlesticks

Fibonacci Retracement is the best tool to find when the pair retraces with 80% probability it is useful for swing traders

Not allowed!

Promo (¢)
    Thumbs Up
    I think that reading some books written by professionals are very helpful to us. We can learn a lot from them but we do have to master the knowledge we read from the books by real trading and watch the chart to see how the market moves . We have to learn how to analyze the market and to understand why it moves like this way.So I think we read first then we turn the knowledge into ourselves'.

Not allowed!

Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast