About Stops - Page 3
Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: About Stops

Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 151

About Stops

When at the traders’ hangouts a question on stops arises the holy war starts: to set or not to set, and where, and other stuff like that.

But the biggest mistake in my opinion is that people believe that the stop is a certain element of the MM or Risk Management. Particularly the immature minds are affected from reading books, where they are offered to set the stop at not more than 2% on the previous candle, and other "classical" methods like "cut your losses, let profit run".

From the position of the quantum, a stop is the same way to go out of position as a take-profit, n-Bar stop, or the default system output. But today we are talking about stops and the MM has nothing to do with it. Yes I agree that the stop affects the risk, but at the stage of the system design, at what risk is an objective reflection of the System Preferences. MM and RM are the completely different stage of System Development Framework, and it is better to leave it until later in order not to stuff our heads with superfluous information, but act consistently.

Dedicated to fans of short stops

Some people believe that a short stop proportionally reduces the risk, but it is not so, to set short stops one needs the perfect timing to enter. And when the timing is not easy the market with persistence knocks out all these stops, there appear all the fables of the puppeteers ...

Stop Loss is set not to exit the market when it goes against the position. It is set in order to go out when the market will drop as a stone, i.e. I think that the stops are not for regular situations. I believe that an acceptable level of output by the stop is 5-10% of the sample, stop is the last hope for the system. In regular situation the system should have the rule(s) on the way out of position, the so-called smart stop when the system determines that the market has changed and it is time to leave. The idea of this post is that the stops should be set far enough from the market, because they are the last line of our defense.

source_http://ubertrader.livejournal.com/2053.html

Not allowed!
    Last edited by Gulfstream; 02-27-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 50
    When talking about true trading managements, then we are talking about the stop loss that you are using, traders that ahs the stop loss as their duty all the time that they trade are better in their trading handling, and this is helping many traders that knows that they can only be saved and protected by this alone, with time the stop if it is less than the take profits,profits will roll.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Stop Loss Order are very crucial and important as much as it concern to me I never ever trade without stop loss order because few times I got Margin call on my little account when Market went totally against me and ultimately I got the Margin call so now I always trade with stop loss and take profit order but stop loss must not be fixed it must be dynamically where it most likely not be touched and if it touched that mean now Market really going to reverse

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 5
    I think so . Stop loss is so important for any trader because he may face a loss in any time if the price go against him .To avoid the unexpected loss we must put stop loss level . We can use any resistance or support level to put our stop loss .But stop loss can give signal only. We need to depend on ourselves.It is very much good of the scalping style but not for the trader who like to work on big frames .It will be danger.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 11
    - think we shouldn't think to put stop loss or not because i think we should make that because it reduce from our losing all of our money and keep our profit ..
    - but i have notice to put it .. i think we put according to our strategy or in the near resistance or support not in the opposite sit as you say and i think we should have enough pips before enter on the trades to make our stop easy and dont depends on the capital ..

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1
    Many people stop using stop loss when they usually met with some consecutive loss instead of learning more they prefer not use stop loss in there trading that brings more hurdle for them. At first they need to evaluate that either they are using dequate stop loss according to there trading strategy, then they nee to learn more to become successful.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Stops are indeed very important, no matter how much we argue but I am in a great favor of stop loss. It limits our account losses to great extent. Like all newbies I wasn't using stop losses and was getting margin calls too much, but then I dropped my lot size and made the use of stop loss as a must, now I'm doing fine.

Not allowed!
    Train insane OR remain the same

Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 12
    great opinion. and I think stop loss so important for our account .and it is best gift to us from fx broker. because we can save our total balance by using this method. otherwise we can not save our money. and it is part of money management rules.so every moment we should to be careful for using and and we need to learn where we use it ?

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 14
    Newbies do a lot of this common mistake that they dont put stop loss which is a very very dangerous thing and it is very very risky and disadvantageous too. Firstly because they fear that after hitting their stop loss, market would again come in favour of their trade. Sometimes they dont put stop loss because they dont know the correct place to put stop loss :(

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 193
    Before we determine how many points in the stop loss, we have to conduct technical and fundamental analysis first. Generally, the benefits of stop loss is to reduce the risk of excessive loss. However, do not set your stop loss too close to or too far from our position. If it too close, the market price will easily penetrate. Otherwise if it is too far, we can experience lots of loss.

Not allowed!

Trader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 6
    i have lost my first investment for not placing stop loss on my trade.after opening my trade without stop loss , i left my computer for my personal work and when i enter the market again then i saw ,my balance is $0.02.on next day i lost again ,as market move against my trade and i did not close my trade for the expectation of reversal.

Not allowed!

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast