Trading software for Linux
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trading software for Linux

Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 875

Trading software for Linux

LInux seems like the best alternative for base software for the next decade or more - all kinds of CPU and hardware support, many interchangable versions - both free and paid, light and stable work, secure environment. Currently about 10 percent of desktop/x86-laptop, 70 percent of servers, 60 percent of ARM-based mobile devices run on Linux.
    Windows gets more and more demanding since XP sp3. Currently there are PCs less than 10 years old that cannot run last two versions (10 and 8) because of hardware requirements - and those are PCs with hardware capabilities suitable for more than half of humanity.

Not allowed!
    Wow. Much Forex. So Monies. Very Opportunity.Many Trade. So Amazed. Wow.

Thumbs Up
    What concerns us as traders and trader-wannabe-s is what software can we use on Linux?
    There is Linux software that provides Windows environment and makes possible programs compiled for Windows to run in Linux in real time mode - Wine. With proper emulators we can run any software on any OS and hardware, but emulation might mean delay - which could be fatal for our accounts in some crucial moment. That is why it is important to run trading software without emulators.
    So, there are about 3 main possibilities to run trading software in Linux: 1. Nativeor ported and compiled programs specially for Linux - there are almost none significant 2. Windows software that can run in Wine - this is a very big category and 3. Programs that work in specific environments, which are native for Linux - Java is the biggest sub-category of this

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    For the first category - I have seen some open-source pieces of software, but I never tried even one of them.
    The second - this includes our dear MetaTrader 4 (also 5) from the very first days of Wine - years ago. In earlier versions the expert testing part didn't want to work, but I think that is fixed now (I don't use it).
    The good thing happening now is that Microsoft opened the source of the .net platform, where lots of good trading software are written. There is the Mono project in Linux which is meant to be an open-sourse version of .net and it made huge progress since that event. Still some programs can't run in Mono - like NinjaTrader. Earlier versions of Wine used to work with .net installers also, not just Mono. Those things are still managed and now .net up to 4.5 installs and works. There are errors, but still.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Third category includes Java platforms, Flash player platforms (yep, that still exists) and (other) web-traders. All platforms of these kinds that work on another platform should work on Linux, there is no reason for incompatibility.
    Some brokers and platform-developers recomend the Oracle version of Java over the opensource one as it is still not full covering of the capabilities of the latter. Good thing in Linux is we can have as much Java version as we want and switch between them with a few commands or clicks.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 390
    There are many kinds of software which can't run in old operating system but I think mt4 terminal's can be used in almost all operating system, we have just download them separately specially if we have to do trade with mt4 in linux operating system. But it will be better if we will change ourself along with the technology. I think 7 to 8 year's old pc still good to do trade forex.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    The Metatraders are pure gold in terms of operating system on which they can work. On a dual boot system Windows/Linux you can install the Metatraders in Windows, reboot in Linux and start them from the Linux OS.
    The only requirement of Metatraders that may prevent them on working on an older PC is the CPU must have SSE2 set of instructions implemented. Some of the first AMD's lowest class did not have that and there was a time such processors were pushed in retail configurations. However almost all processors even 15+ years old can run flawlessly a system with a lightweight Linux and 4-5 Metatraders with 10 charts everyone.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    It would be nice if there is a fellow trader working or at least owning an ARM CPU PC and Linux to share how (or if) any trading software works there.
    I believe Java platforms and Web-traders should work, however I don't have such a machine to really check, and I'm curious.

Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 538
    Quote Originally Posted by forexlearner View Post
    There are many kinds of software which can't run in old operating system but I think mt4 terminal's can be used in almost all operating system, we have just download them separately specially if we have to do trade with mt4 in linux operating system. But it will be better if we will change ourself along with the technology. I think 7 to 8 year's old pc still good to do trade forex.
    I have no information about this because I am using windows 8 and windows xp operating system, most of time when I download mt4 robo forex forum website then I able to use that in my pc. If trader's are getting problem to run mt4 in linux operating system then it would be better to check the live chat, I have only heard about linux operating system but don't have any experience of it.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Well, there is always a first time. And Linux is truly the future - Linux can run at almost any hardware platform featuring some kind of a CPU (including phones, televisions and even some refridgerators and microwave ovens). Open source software (most of the third-party Linux software) can also be compiled for different platforms, which geeks actually love doing.
    Linux is way more beautiful and convinient than Windows today, let alone it is alot more efficient and hardware-friendly (towards harddrives especially).
    Linux is extremely easy to try - you can run it from Windows, install it in Windows as a program (uninstallable from Windows Control Panel), run it from a CD or USB drive without install and many other ways.

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    If anybody decide for a fresh install of any of the Ubuntu 15.10-s the Wine 1.7 repositories haven't been updated for a while and may have missing dependancies. If you need the newest Wine for some software (NinjaTrader for example) it is better to install the Wine-staging version (instructions on wine-staging.com).
    In Fedora the Wine-staging is the default Wine version.

Not allowed!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast