Results 1,381 to 1,382 of 1382

Thread: WHAT to learn vs HOW to learn

Educator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 189

WHAT to learn vs HOW to learn

Hello, there.

I want to talk a bit about ongoing success in trading.

What it depends on?

Huge amount of attention is stuck on WHAT to learn among traders. The idea of WHAT surprizingly displaces the idea of HOW.

What do I mean by that?

For me, ongoing trading success is the function of fast and effective adaptation to changes in market conditions, function of the ability to choose the right edge

Let me show you example:

In December 2012 and January 2013 I was capturing nice elongated movements from EURUSD and other currency pairs. In January I had closed trade with 15 pips initial stop and 330 pips in profit.

But after that - in February and in March, market conditions have changed absolutely.

No big and smooth movements, just volatility going back and forth.

I had to change my view. So I've taken a rest and observed - what's going on? I had to change my trade locations completely and trade more near rotational centers. It was beneficial, but it pushed me to learn again - to know how balancing market works.

I know that in future markets WILL change. Maybe, we will see large elongated trends, may be wild swings, maybe range bound activity. We as traders should learn how to earn in every market conditions we have.

So, for me, ongoing success depends on:

- ability to learn very rapidly and to restrucuture our thinking

- open-mindness to what market tells you. All that worked in the past, may not work now

- focus on principles rather than on setups. Fundamental principles don't change, while setups may break and edge can disappear

Bottom line:

Learn to learn from the markets

Good luck!

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 122
    Quote Originally Posted by Value trader View Post
    in future markets WILL change
    what do you mean by markets?

Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 44
    Quote Originally Posted by Value trader View Post
    Hello, there.

I want to talk a bit about ongoing success in trading.

What it depends on?

Huge amount of attention is stuck on WHAT to learn among traders. The idea of WHAT surprizingly displaces the idea of HOW.

What do I mean by that?

For me, ongoing trading success is the function of fast and effective adaptation to changes in market conditions, function of the ability to choose the right edge

Let me show you example:

In December 2012 and January 2013 I was capturing nice elongated movements from EURUSD and other currency pairs. In January I had closed trade with 15 pips initial stop and 330 pips in profit.

But after that - in February and in March, market conditions have changed absolutely.

No big and smooth movements, just volatility going back and forth.

I had to change my view. So I've taken a rest and observed - what's going on? I had to change my trade locations completely and trade more near rotational centers. It was beneficial, but it pushed me to learn again - to know how balancing market works.

I know that in future markets WILL change. Maybe, we will see large elongated trends, may be wild swings, maybe range bound activity. We as traders should learn how to earn in every market conditions we have.

So, for me, ongoing success depends on:

- ability to learn very rapidly and to restrucuture our thinking

- open-mindness to what market tells you. All that worked in the past, may not work now

- focus on principles rather than on setups. Fundamental principles don't change, while setups may break and edge can disappear

Bottom line:

Learn to learn from the markets

Good luck!

this is like what people say that history will keep repeating. this also seems to apply to the market. therefore we need to know its history, look back, find out, learn, record and make limits. this can be our parameter or reference in looking at the market chart.
    and of course I really agree with your writing on this thread. thank you :)

Not allowed!

Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139